HOLA TODAS...it`s been quite a while since my last entry. I´ve been staying very busy and finally feeling quite settled into the BIG city... as in its definately grown on me. I love it! Or maybe Ive just have really felt like I`ve made myself quite the little home here for the past 4 months. I CAN`T BELIEVE IT`S BEEN 4 MONTHS- NUTS! It really is amazing how fast the time flys. I cant decide if I feel like Ive been here longer than 4 months or I just don`t believe time actually flies that fast. I absolutely LOVE my frisbee team!!! Its the greatest group of people and playing on the weekend with all my friends is what I look forward to the most. I`ve taken a more active position in frisbee. I am now handling the majority of the time.... which is kinda, sorta new for me- which basically means I have a lot of responsibilty and to NOT DROP THE DISC because I am the one passing and throwing more often now.
Also my host mother,Miriam, and I have grown really close and fond of each other. We`ll just talk and talk about vida (life). She really is probably one of the most nicest, caring people I`ve ever met...especially to me.. I can tell she cares a lot about me. I really do find it quite amazing that I can hold a converstation with someone who speaks no English whatsoever (like Miriam) and just talk for an hour or more about whatever. That`s probably one of my proudest accomplishments from being here.
BUT anyways, last night was interesting with quite the twist.
I arrived home last night around 10pm after my Argentina Literature class (yes, class is from 7:45- 10pm at night) and ate dinner. Miriam hasn`t been feeling too well for the past few days and when I arrived home, her door was closed because she was sleeping. About an hour or so later, Miriam opens her door and comes out into the living room complaining of uncomfortable pain because she has broke out in a rash all over her body.... She had some type of crazy allergic reaction but has no idea to what. She started asking me what she thinks she should do. So I immediately turned on my ``destined`` nursing skills and started asking her all sorts of questions. Well how long have you had it, is it worse or better, have you ever had la varicela (chicken pox), etc.... She said she was extremely uncomfortable and that she was going to call the doctor (they do house calls here). I went back to her room with her while she was put on hold for 20 minutes and finally someone answered. Then I remembered Epson SALT!! I searched through the pantry, found some, mixed it with a pot of warm water, got a washcloth, and then dabbed it all over her. She started to feel immediately better. Needless to say, the doctor told her that he was unable to come because it didnt sound too serious and that he`s been busy ALL NIGHT because everyone is calling (freaking out) that they have gripe porcina (swine flu)...apparently there is 21 confirmed cases in BsAs...
Anyways, I said Miriam, let me draw you a bath with Epson Salt and you just need to soak in it. She said okay.
So our bathroom has a drain it...as in there is no problem if water overruns from the sink or whatever. I made a bath for Miriam, she got in it and soaked for a while with the water running. I was in the other room watching t.v. not paying attention to anything.... while the apartment was becoming flooded. Miriam fell asleep in the tub to hot running water and it went all the way through the living room, into the kitchen...HA. I couldnt believe it and neither could she. She jumped out of the bathtub freaking out and grabbed the first thing she could find to wear...an inside out sweatshirt, underwear, unlaced boots, and her hair was ON TOP of her head in a pony tail. She said within the 18 years of her living in the apartment she has never had that happen. There I was with my rolled up jeans and my host mother with hair on top of her head in a ridiculous outfit, with mop in hand mopping up the apartment. It was hilarious....all we could do was laugh about it forever. Needless to say, she felt better instantly. So I guess I can say, Miriam was my first Spanish speaking patient.
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)
Such a cute story!!! Me muere con risa. Miriam really was your first Spanish speaking patient, I know there will be more to come :)
ResponderEliminar