sábado, 21 de marzo de 2009

To sum up the last the last 6 weeks.....

can only be one word..... EXTRAORDINARY





Hello all. With some thought I've decided to start a blog, so yes, now you can call me a blogger or whatever. I've always been that kid that was given journals, diaries, etc. and wrote....for a little bit, until the pages collected dust. For the first time in my life I've actually been keeping a personal journal (thanks, grandmother) about my adventures here, so now I feel as if I have the ability to share. (yes, I will still send personal emails) but this is more of a generic/what Im feeling type of deal.

So to begin. Today marks my sixth week in Buenos Aires, Argentina and with this time spent here, I've already have established great relationships with people that were strangers just such a short time ago, have immersed myself into a completely different culture that I absolutely LOVE, and have had one journey of a life time- PATAGONIA.

For the first 4 weeks I was here, I was taking a Spanish Intensive course with about 30 or so other international students from around the world (as around the world I mean, the USA, Belgium, Germany, Sweeden, Holland, Norway, and Japan). So not only am I enjoying the locals, Im meeting some incredible people from all over and have lots of new places to visit with hopefully a couch to crash on :)

I would say that my Spanish was okay (better than most people I know), but not fluent by any means.... Well, little did I know that I had NO IDEA what I was about to embark. Let's just say the first few days were difficult, but I got myself from point A to B, and managed to take a subway for the first time in my entire life (all by my "big girl" self ) in a city of 13 million people. I really don't no how to describe Buenos Aires other than BIG, GIANORMOUS, HUGE!!!!, GIAGANTIC!....this is the largest city I've ever been in my entire life (I think, is Rome bigger?) but it hasn't been so overwhelming. Sometimes the crazy traffic, dodging taxi's that barely hit you (they could care less if you are a human being with 2 legs walking...when it's green, THEY GO), and the pollution are overwhelming, but I am embracing it all with a big sniff of foul odor and taking a big breath in of smog; I can't help but appreciate it. As weird as that sounds..... within the 6weeks I've been here, I have definately figured that there is absolutely no way I can live the rest of my life, as in settle, in a large city, but feel that I need to spend a significant time of my life in one... confused yet? :)

Manuevring and finding new places (and finding myself back home) are such personal accomplishments I have everday.... I get so excited when I realize where I am or what street is pararell/perpendicular/etc. I say to myself, "I know where I am! YAY! good job, Cat... you deserve a treat." The point being, I love finding my place in this city that speaks a different tounge. I feel that's just more of an accomplishment of itself...finding myself in place that's only in SPANISH (for the most part).

But to continue on... imagine everything being delayed for 2 hours and everything not really being in an orderly fashion. As stressful as that may seem, it's really not. Life is tranquildad (tranquil...my new favorite word spanish word). Is it weird that Im living in this big hustling,bustling city and I feel peaceful? The Argentines live a luxourious life. They are very appreciative of their friends, family, time, and food. There is no rush...you take your time. Sure you can go to a resturant at 11 am, order the most mouthwatering, savoring steak your lips have ever tasted, drink marvelous wine, and talk until 2:30 am with 3 girlfriends (yes, I've done this). Or in school, if you accidently leave your notebook or just didn't do the assignment correctly, they say, "sure no problem, just bring it tomorrow." EXCUSE ME?! why can't everything be that way...we can only dream....

To eleberate more, after 4 weeks of the intensive month program, we were given (in the Argentine fashion...slow) information that school actually/"technically" doesn't begin until THE FOLLOWING WEEK!!! what? a whole week off, seriously? within the amount of 3 hours... 3 friends (Stefanine, Rocky, Miranda) and myself have booked and have a "somewhat" trip planned to El Calafate & El Chalten, Santa Cruz; Argentina- PATAGONIA!!! Partically one of the reasonings for me coming to Argentina is because of Patagonia, so some essential packing planning did go into this upon my arrival to Argentina. So I wouldn't "technically" put it as one of the most spontaneous trips of my life...okay maybe...I knew it would happen, just not that soon, or that I would be dropping that much cash (that soon) for that matter. And the way it was planned out, I couldn't be happier. I mean I do have a camelback, a gianormous bag essential for only backpacking, camping, traveling; hiking boots, smartwools, underarmour, long underwear, fleeces, hates, gloves, scarfs, winterjacket, headlamp, and locks....so maybe I was a little prepared :)

Just to reinterate, I don't think the world EXTRADORINARY can even wrap itself around in all of Patagonia's Beauty. It's the essential outdoorsman dream, a photographer paradise, a person who is lost but can find a new, appreciative meaning of life...it's for anyone and everyone. I could have sit all day in one field and looked at the same damn mountain and feel exactly how I do now.... I keep telling everyone I'm a new woman. Maybe not so much, but my soul feels refreshed, cleansed, and as if it is smiling. If heaven was on earth, this would be the place. It is Heaven on Earth. And to only imagine I just saw a sinpet of this huge massive land region.... I am coming back one day and may never leave...maybe not, but I can dream... My next journey will include some serious overnight backpacking for DAAAAAAAAAYS. Nature has such impact on me, its one of my best natural highs...

But I am back to the very different big city life now... enjoying my saturday on the patio with the sunshine hitting my legs and wind lightly flowing through my hair, writing my first blog,
and thinking of all of you back at home. thanks for the read and I will do my best to update frequently. peace&love to you- Cat

1 comentario: